Whether you want to visit Mexico for a weekend or an extended stay for a year you will need a visa. There are many types of visas in Mexico, which are legal documents that acknowledge your permission to visit and stay in the country. The type of visa you get depends on the kind of visit you are doing or if you are looking to move.

Tourist Visa

The tourism industry in Mexico is huge. Every year hundreds of thousands of people visit the beautiful beaches and cities in Mexico. These people are required to fill out an immigration form known at the entry point. Most of these forms are handed out on the flight in to Mexico so that people can fill them out while they fly. People must show their passport and proof of the resort they are staying in. These are good for no more than 6 months and you can not seek employment.

Temporary Residency Visa

This visa is for expats who live in the country no longer than four years and are non-immigrant temporary residents. They are permitted to leave and enter the country multiple times. This is mostly for students or short-term workers. People who have a temporary residency visa can apply for a permanent residency visa and are typically approved.

Permanent Residency Visa

This visa is for people who wish to live in Mexico for a long period of time. They can work or own a business. It can take three to four months to complete the paperwork for this visa. Expats do not have the same rights as Mexican citizens.

Thank you for visiting the Loit & Associates blog, a lawyer from Mexico. We write to inform people about laws and news in Mexico.